Friday, August 23, 2013

Gint-A-Cuffs V: Packs 17-24

We're heading into the final third of the box with a running score of 148. I wonder if my lucky streak will stretch another year?


PACK 17
FP/ATY Trevor Bauer +4

PACK TOTAL +4
ROLLING TOTAL +152


PACK 18
164 Chris Mortensen -1
ATY C.J. Wilson +2
Mini Relic: Roy Jones, Jr. +10

PACK TOTAL +11
ROLLING TOTAL +163

Well this is interesting. All 3 of my hits were relics but none of them came in the same format. The Roy Jones, Jr. here has a different colored frame around it. I think the light blue on the Belle is a lot more flattering. This mauve color is just way to drab here. Plus the plain borders are so far away from the ornate borders on pretty much every other card in the set. I guess the red fabric swatch is cool, though. Really makes me wonder what article of clothing it's from since boxer trunks are usually all silky and shiny, no?


PACK 19
128 Joe Mauer (FP) +2
344 Nolan Ryan (SP) +2
Martial Mastery: Zulu +3
A&G Mini: 288 Chris Davis +2

PACK TOTAL +9
ROLLING TOTAL +172

It's crazy how some packs have 4 scoring cards in them while others only offer 1. Here's my first look at the Martial Mastery cards. I like how the lack of hard borders helps the card breathe. The little logo up top is well done, too. Can't say I'm a fan of the subject matter, though. They just had a military leaders set in A&G a couple years ago.


PACK 20
ATY Dylan Bundy +2

PACK TOTAL +2
ROLLING TOTAL +174

This doesn't look like a strong finish...


PACK 21
186 Andy Pettitte -1
345 Melky Cabrera (SP) +2
Civilizations: Swahili +3
Inquiring Minds: Francis Bacon +3

PACK TOTAL +7
ROLLING TOTAL +181

I tried to keep it out of my mind and avoid the jinx but there were more than a few times opening this box where I thought "man, I haven't pulled me Yankees so far." I don't know if the checklist was lighter or if I just got a lucky box but the Pettitte here was the first Yankee base card I pulled.


PACK 22
96 Jason Heyward (FP) +2
316 Hal Newhouser (SP) +2
Martial Mastery: Romans +3
SP Mini: 346 Josh Johnson +3

PACK TOTAL +10
ROLLING TOTAL +191

Hey hey, we're picking up some steam here. I feel a strong finish in the works.


PACK 23
300 Bud Selig -1
327 Yogi Berra (SP) +2 / -1 NYY = +1 total
Martial Mastery: Knights +3

PACK TOTAL +3
ROLLING TOTAL +194

Damnit, Selig!


PACK 24
ATY Willie Stargell +2
Inquiring Minds: Plato +3

PACK TOTAL +5
GRAND TOTAL +199

And an embarrassing stagger across the finish line. Actually, 199 is basically 200 and I told myself beforehand if I get to 200, I'll be pleased. It's always fun opening a box but adding the weird scoring into the mix cranks it up exponentially. As always, thanks to Mark for organizing/running this whole crazy thing and also getting Dave & Adam's Card World on board with a Gint-A-Cuffs discount. I can't imagine all the work that goes into overseeing this year after year.

Overall, I like the 2013 Allen & Ginter designs a bit less than last year's. The whole 'theme' seems a little too loosely applied resulting in a mix of carnival and ren faire that I'm not a big fan of. I suppose there are only so many 'yesteryear' eras to cull from. It seems a bit like A&G and Gypsy Queen are on a track to meet each other head on in a few years. A lot of these ornate storybook elements are found in each, along with things that used to be A&G signatures like the minis and such. About the only distinction that remains is GQ is baseball only (minus the gypsies) and A&G is a balls-out quirkfest. The products may be built differently but the looks of each are starting to converge.

3 comments:

  1. You beat me by 19 points. One of the most disappointing boxes I've ever busted. So, congratulations on beating me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks. Obviously not as good as my break from last year but I guess I did alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't seem to avoid the jinx, either. Once I admitted it out loud to someone, the Yankees just kept coming out of the woodwork.

    ReplyDelete